Wow. Another shooting, this time on the air. It’s no big deal. The debate on guns in this country ended on December 14, 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Once we decided that the right of any putz to buy all the guns he wants was more important than the right of a couple dozen kindergarteners, first-graders and elementary school teachers not to get shot to death, we can safely say that the debate was over, fini, stick a fork in it, it’s done.
Today, almost 24 hours after the shooting, I sampled the
NRA Death Eater News website (sorry, no links for scum of the earth, google it) to see what they had to say about it. I have to say, they managed to surprise me. Here are the top 17 headlines copied verbatim, in order, at 05:30 EDT (09:30 UTC) on the day after a Roanoke, VA TV news reporter and her cameraman were shot to death, live on the air, while reporting a story about a new waterpark just opening.
- Next Up For Consideration as Democratic Standard Bearer: Mike Bloomberg
- Regal Theaters Checking Purses, Bags to Ensure Law-Abiding Citizens Unarmed
- Florida: Battle Continues Over Doctor-Patient Gun Law
- Senator to Push South Carolina Gun-Control Bills
- California Seeks to Put 10-Year Gun Bans on More Misdemeanor Offenders
- Maine Gun Stores Reporting Spike in Sales
- Missouri Supreme Court: Felon-in-Possession Law Stands
- Minnesota Appeals Court Rules NFL Can Ban Off-Duty Officers From Carrying Guns at Stadium
- North Carolina Law Lets Guard Members Have Concealed Carry on Duty
- Cabela’s, Bass Pro, Gander Reject Call to Slow Gun Sales, Ignore FBI Rules
- South Carolina Lawmaker to Introduce Sweeping Gun-Control Legislation
- NICS Fixes and Improvements to Roll Out in 2016
- Canada: Gun-Tracing Regulations Put Off Again by Federal Government
- Texas: Popularity of Hunting is Soaring With Girls, Women
- Libertarians Challenge New York’s Pistol Permit Law
- PEW: Majority of Americans Say Gun Ownership Protects Them From Crime
- The Dangerous “Background Check” Lie
I would have captured more but I was having trouble suppressing my gag reflex.
The President will stand up and make a sad face about yesterday’s shooting, and then we will go right back to business as usual. On the other hand, where were the good guys? The Death Eaters will still cynically take your money for this shirt.